Who’s ready for Spring?
I’m so over the cold and gloomy weather. I’m ready for sunshine!
Are you looking for a warm and comforting recipe to get you through another cold day? I’ve got a great one! This recipe for Southwestern Chicken Egg Roll Wraps is perfect for gloomy winter days. It’s a family favorite in our house – not too spicy, but packed with flavor. It’s an old Southern Living recipe (so you know it’s good) that’s been perfected over the years by my sweet friend Lauren, who’s given me permission to share it with you guys. Thanks Lauren!
I used my Instant-Pot to cook the chicken, but you can make this recipe even easier by using cooked rotisserie chicken. (If you do use rotisserie chicken, make sure to add a little water to the sauce since you won’t be rendering any juice from cooking the chicken.)
I love topping the egg rolls with sour cream and sliced green onions. But some salsa or a little more ranch dressing would also be delicious!
Looking for more yummy recipes? Check out more of my favorites here!
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 30m
- Serves: 8
- Category: Recipes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 1 cup sour cream (for topping)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 17 ounces package of egg roll wrappers
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 9 ounces bottle of ranch salad dressing
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 5 1/2 ounces can of diced green chilis
- 16 ounces can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 sliced green onions (for topping)
- Add the oil and diced veggies to the Instant-Pot and sauté until soft using the sauté function.
- Add in the tomato sauce, diced green chilis, and the chicken.
- Use the Poultry setting on the Instant-Pot to fully cook the chicken.
- After releasing the steam, shred the chicken with two forks and stir sauce together. Pour mixture into a large bowl so it can cool slightly. (All of this can also be done a day or two ahead of time.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the bottle of ranch salad dressing and the pepper.
- Pour a small amount of the tomato/ranch sauce into a 13 by 9 casserole dish, just to prevent the egg roll wraps from sticking to the pan.
- Spoon about a tablespoon or two of the chicken/tomato/ranch mixture inside each eggroll wrapper.
- Fold in left and right sides to partially enclose the filling, fold up the bottom edge, and roll up.
- Place each roll seam-side down into the casserole dish.
- Pour remaining chicken/tomato/ranch sauce all over the eggrolls.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Top with the 2 cups of cheese and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream and sliced green onions.