Ok – I’m going to let you guys in on a little secret…I’m not the best baker. I can cook pretty well. But baking? Not my forte. Too much exact science, measuring, and worrying about altitude and weather. That’s all way too complicated for this #lazymom! But since I’ve had kids, I’ve had lots of practice making muffins. For some reason, muffins aren’t as intimidating to me. And my kid’s absolutely love muffins, so we try to make them at least once a week. Muffins are also the perfect snack to bring to playdates, or send in to a preschool bake sale. These whole wheat apple cinnamon muffins with caramel butter are a fall favorite in our house, and we can pretend they’re healthy since they include whole wheat flour, ground flax, and apples!
Sometimes whole wheat flour can make things taste really dry, but the apples add moisture to the muffins, and the caramel butter adds the perfect amount of creamy sweetness.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Fall Recipes Pinterest board!
What’s your favorite muffin recipe?
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 40m
- Yield: about 18 muffins
- Category: Recipes
- cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Place muffin liners into muffin pans and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients - flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, ground flax, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in diced apples. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, stir together the softened butter and the caramel sauce.
- Spread each muffin with a generous helping of caramel butter and enjoy!